Using the Iowa DOT’s Crash Analysis Tool the Iowa Bicycle Coalition has created a report that includes all of the document crashes involving Iowa Kids ages 1-16 who were biking and walking when the crash occurred. The following subcategories we feel are relevant to child safety: Speed, Time of Day, Month, Intersection Related, and the presences of traffic controls. These categories show where kids are most vulnerable. The reports showed the following regarding cycling:
- The five-year crash totals reflect a decrease in 2020 total crashes yet little change in fatalities and serious injuries.
- Twenty-one of the thirty-nine crashes occurs in speed zones with a posted speed limit of twenty-five miles per hour.
- The vast majority of the crashes happened during daylight.
The Reports showed the following regarding pedestrian crashes:
- Most crashes happened in an area with a speed limit of twenty-five miles per hour.
- The majority of the crashes happened during daylight.
Download the entire report below.